Thursday, October 11, 2012

Chicago Style


Until we received our manuscript back from the editor, I had thought Chicago Style was pizza!  The Chicago Manual of Style?  I had to look it up because I'd never heard of it.  Julie had, of course.  It says it's "essential for writers, editors and publishers".   And here we are in the editing phase of our book and I'm ignorant of such a thing?  Shame on me!  Oh, well, it's never too late to learn.  And learning we are.  

Remember when paper manuscripts used to come back in the mail?  When desired changes were marked in red pencil?  When the editor wrote personal notes ( in my case, rejection notes) in cursive?  Imagine my amazement when we had to send our book via e-mail and back it came the same way!  Marked now in all colors of the rainbow.  Red, grey, blue, green, aqua.  Delete!  Add!  Change!  Save!  I had no idea it would be so confusing and exciting.  It's such a long process, how on earth did there get to be so many books out there?  

Ecclesiastes 12:12 NLT  But, my child, let me give you some further advice:  Be careful, for writing books is endless, and much study wears you out.  

Ah ha!  But I wouldn't miss this journey for the world!

1 comment: